Saturday, October 11, 2008

No Stress Chess

I recently read a book about various aspects of Homeschooling. In this book it recommended to teach your kids chess to help them develop skills in logic. This seemed like a rather daunting task to me a non chess player. I have always wanted to learn and never have, so chess had become a rather mysterious game to me relagated to the truly gifted and intelligent of which I felt I didn't fall. Then on-line I came across a game called No Stress Chess. It is a board game in which the basic proponents of chess are taught in very easy steps. I picked it up in Barnes and Noble when I was home in America. Yesterday, LuLu, Buddy Boy and I sat down to begin what I was sure to be the laborious task of learning the ins and outs of chess. Within 5 minutes we were playing chess, understood all the pieces, how they moved and what the goal of the game was. I was amazed and very pleased. It was sooooo easy! There really was no stress involved. Now we still need to develop planning and strategy which the game claims to teach in 3 easy steps (we are still on step 1), but for now we have successfully started our adventures into the world of chess. So if you too have always wanted to learn to play chess but felt intimidated by this "Game of the Kings" then I highly recommend you go out and purchase yourself your own "No Stress Chess".